In any industry that utilizes any type of machinery, the absolute number one rule everyone knows is “Safety First.” When machining companies don’t take safety seriously, serious accidents happen.
That’s why we take safety seriously at United Scientific. We serve machining companies that take every precaution to make sure their employees and customers are safe, so we do the same.
If you are looking for a partner that takes safety as seriously as you do, look no further than United Scientific. Not only do we provide the highest quality materials, but we also do so in a manner that surpasses safety standards.
How We Stay Safe
Each one of the employees at United Scientific is well-trained in safety. We know you don’t cut corners in your business, so our employees don’t cut corners in their own safety.
There are a few basic rules all of our employees follow, and they are likely similar to your safety guidelines.
- Always wear appropriate clothing.
- Never wear loose clothing.
- Steel-toed shoes are STRONGLY encouraged.
- Secure or cover hair and facial hair.
- Always be aware of and use proper safety equipment, including safety goggles, respirators, gloves, aprons, or coats.
When it comes to operating machinery, it is essential everyone operating the machine knows the basic rules.
- Know and follow the lockout or tag-out procedures.
- Ensure all tools are in good, working condition with no chips, cracks, or burrs.
- Only work on a machine you are trained or certified to use.
Employers know that a factory or workplace is only as good as its employees and the quality of the machines. If your workplace is not safe, the quality of the product suffers.
At United Scientific, like most other machining companies, we focus on keeping the workplace safe.
- Keep each work area clean.
- Return every tool to its proper place.
- Walk or stand in designated safe areas only.
- Always know where the first aid and eyewash stations are located.
Why We Stay Safe
It might seem obvious why safety is paramount. However, it is essential to employees why focusing on safety is critical, and why it should happen every day at every station.
- Focusing on safety minimizes injuries.
- Focusing on safety ensures equipment is used correctly and eliminates faulty mechanisms or tools.
- Focusing on safety ensures the highest quality parts for the least amount of dollars.
- Focusing on safety means no downtime due to not following procedures.
Check out the 10 Commandments of Good Safety Habits here.
Essential Safety Tips
With all of these safety focuses in mind, it’s time to focus on some safety tips. As a profitable business, you must be able to produce high-quality items customers trust at a reasonable price in the most efficient way possible.
Focusing on safety is the key to all of this and more. Read on for some essential safety tips that are always in place at United Scientific.
Take Extra Steps When Necessary
Most heavy machinery comes with safety mechanisms like safety interlocks. However, some machines don’t, or they aren’t in all parts of the machine. If you have a machine without a built-in safety mechanism, add one.
While we are NOT advocating altering your machine, it is perfectly acceptable to add a sign or a barrier. Furthermore, ensure you thoroughly train all of your operators on which areas need extra consideration.
This rule is especially true with newer operators that don’t have experience with that particular machine. To avoid catastrophic accidents, clearly label all areas with the appropriate precautions.
A simple way to keep your operators safe is to have a sign or warning telling each operator when the machine is back in its home position, or when it is safe to open a compartment.
Finally, allow each new operator to complete a dry run on all new machinery without stock or tools. This step will allow everyone working on the machine to see and understand the process without risk of injury or damage to products.
Clean and Maintain all Machines
Cleaning and maintaining all of your machines has multiple benefits. Obviously, a clean machine runs better, ensuring the operator is safer while working with it. When the machine is up to date on all maintenance and free of debris or residue, there is less chance of malfunction.
Furthermore, a clean and well-maintained machine will extend the life of the machine. Not only will the machine last longer, but it will also produce high-quality parts for longer.
Utilize All Essential Safety Equipment
Ensuring each of your operators uses the correct PPE, personal protective equipment, is vital. It is up to the employer to provide training and equipment, so every employee meets the correct standards set by OSHA.
Proper PPE doesn’t stop at the eyes and feet. Consider protection for ears, hands, faces, and bodies when necessary. Even if the machine has a suitable enclosure and specific protection is not required, it is always wise to utilize appropriate foot, eye, and ear protection.
Along with using the correct personal protective equipment, ensure every employee knows where the first aid and eyewash stations are. To be even more secure, provide regular training to all employees on how to use these stations.
Have a Checklist
Having a checklist all employees must complete before clocking in or out for the day can ensure safety measures are always being met. A few examples might be:
- Wear all appropriate PPE:
- Safety Goggles
- Protective Gloves
- Proper Clothing
- Proper Shoes
- Inspect your machine and all parts before operating. Ensure there are no loose bolts, screws, or other components.
- Slow down! Do not rush the machine or feeds. Not only can you get hurt, but you can also damage the machine.
- Pay attention! Don’t leave your machine unattended. Listen to your machine while it is operating. If something sounds wrong, stop and inspect it.
- Always follow the appropriate procedures for lockout before doing any work to a machine.
- Be a professional! Never goof around or play around machines.
- Clean up after yourself. This includes your machine and your workspace.
Let United Scientific Partner With You
United Scientific is the partner you are looking for that cares about safety and quality of the product. We focus on safety and providing the best parts at the most competitive prices.